Graduation vs. Commencement
What is the difference between graduation and commencement?
Commencement is a ceremony held once a year that honors students who just have or will soon graduate, which means completing all requirements of their degree programs. Participating in commencement does not automatically mean that a student has graduated. In order to graduate, a student must complete all requirements of his or her degree program before the end of the summer term.
- When students apply to graduate, advisors and the registrar will check to certify that all programme requirements have been satisfied or will be satisfied within the designated time frame (by the end of the summer term). Once degree audits have taken place, students are informed by the registrar’s office whether they can graduate.
- Participating in commencement is a separate process from graduating. When a student confirms participation in commencement, the University College of the Cayman Islands will reserve a place for the student to ‘walk’ in the ceremony and provide tickets for guests.
The UCCI Commencement Ceremony will be held on June 29, 2023.
The new date for the deadline to apply for graduation, is April 30, 2023. Download the Graduation Application Form.
If you believe you will be eligible for graduation in new date to be announced please ensure that you apply by this date.
PLEASE NOTE: Even if you do not wish to participate in the ceremony, you must still submit the completed application form by the deadline in order to receive your degree/certificate.
Important Note for 2023 applicants:
The commencement ceremony is scheduled for a new date on June 29, 2023 and students enrolled in Spring 2023 and/or Summer 2023 should apply to graduate if all classes will be completed by Summer 2023. Degrees/certificates will be conferred after Summer 2023 grades are released. Diplomas will be ordered after that.
Academic Requirements for Graduation
Please note that you must have met all your degree/programme and GPA requirements by the end of the Summer 2023 semester in order to have your degree conferred in 2023. This includes:
- Minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA
- Minimum credit requirement met (depending on the degree programme)
- All courses completed from programme plan
- Resolution of incomplete grades
- Resolution of Course Substitutions/Waivers
- Resolution of grade forgiveness applications
- Resolution of transfer of credits
- Resolution of Change of Major
- Resolution of Change of Degree Plan
- No outstanding account balances
PLEASE NOTE: No grade changes will be made to the student’s academic records after the degree has been conferred. Should you need to apply for Grade Forgiveness for a class that you have already re-taken, please do so prior to applying for graduation.
Completion of Degree Plans:
Please meet with your advisor to review this before submitting the application to the registrar’s office for processing.
To include with your application form:
You must submit the following items with your Graduation Application form:
- Completed degree plan
- Unofficial transcript
- One valid form of identification (passport, birth certificate, driver's license)
Regular graduation fees:
- Attending graduation: $135 CI
- Not attending graduation: $100 CI
Not Approved for graduation:
Students who have applied for graduation but have not met the requirements listed above will be determined to be ineligible and will be contacted and informed of this decision. Students meeting the requirements will be emailed a confirmation and further instructions regarding items such as graduation rehearsal.
Change of name:
Potential graduates who provide identification with a name that is different from the name on their graduation applications, and without supporting documents, will be required to file an affidavit. Students wishing to change the name on their student files should complete a Change of Name Form and submit it with the supporting documents at the time of application.
Making Payments for Graduation
Payment by debit or credit card through the online payment portal: https://ucci.caymangateway.com/. Under ‘Service Category’ select General Fees and then choose Graduation (Walking) or Graduation (Not Walking)
In person cash payments can be made at the Grand Cayman One-Stop Centre or the Cayman Brac Campus. Hours of operation: Monday-Thursday 8:30am-5:00pm and Friday 8:30am-4:30pm.
Payment by debit or credit card can be made over the phone by calling 1-345-623-8224.
Students can make payments directly at a CNB through online bill payments or RBC bank branch through online bill payments or over-the-counter payments. Please ensure that your full name, Graduation 2023 and student ID are included in the payment reference for UCCI to properly apply against your account.
- If online select University College of the Cayman Islands as the Beneficiary Account/Bill Payee.
- If you are paying in person, provide them with your name, Student ID number and the amount that you would like to pay to the UCCI account. You can opt to pay in KYD or USD through UCCI’s RBC and Cayman National Bank accounts.
- RBC KYD A/C: 069751130293
- RBC USD A/C: 069752021061
- CNB KYD A/C: 011-11277
- If you make a physical or online payment, please take a picture or send a screenshot to email@example.com to alert the Registrar’s Office.
Submitting the Graduation Application Form
Please submit completed forms, along with supporting documentation, in person, or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, by April 30, 2023. If paying online/over the phone, please do so before submitting the documentation. If paying in person, it can be done at the same time.
Important: Submission and payment of a graduation application does not equate to approval. Students will receive approval via email from the registrar’s office 3-4 weeks after the deadline.
NO APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED AFTER APRIL 30, 2023.
Office of the Registrar
Updated March 1, 2023