Graduation vs. Commencement
What is the difference between graduation and commencement?
Commencement is a ceremony held once a year that honors students who just have or will soon graduate, which means completing all requirements of their degree program. Participating in Commencement does not automatically mean that a student has graduated. In order to graduate, a student must complete all requirements of their degree program before the end of the Summer term.
- When students apply to graduate, advisors and the Registrar will check to certify that all programme requirements have been satisfied or will be satisfied within the designated time frame (by the end of the Summer term). Once degree audits have taken place, students are informed whether they can graduate by the Registrar’s office.
- Participating in Commencement is a separate process from graduating. When a student confirms participation in Commencement, the University College of the Cayman Islands will reserve a place for the student to ‘walk’ in the ceremony and provide tickets for guests.
The UCCI Commencement Ceremony 2021 will be held on Saturday, 24 April 2021.
COVID-19 Regulations: As of 20 January 2021, the Cayman Islands Government has advised that the limitations on indoor public gatherings remains at 500 persons. The UCCI will continue to monitor developments within the Cayman Islands and will make an announcement should there be any changes.
The deadline to apply for graduation is Friday, 12 March 2021. Download the Graduation Application Form.
If you believe you will be eligible for graduation in April 2021 please ensure that you apply by this date.
PLEASE NOTE: Even if you do not wish to participate in the ceremony, you must still submit the completed application form by the deadline in order to receive your degree/certificate.
Important Note for 2021 applicants:
The Commencement Ceremony will happen on 24 April 2021 and students enroled in Spring 2021 and/or Summer 2021 should apply to graduate once all classes will be completed by Summer 2021. Degrees/Certificates will be conferred AFTER Summer 2021 grades are released and then diplomas will be ordered.
Academic Requirements for Graduation
Please note that you must have met all your degree/programme and GPA requirements by the end of the Summer 2021 semester in order to have your degree conferred in 2021. This includes:
- Minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA
- Minimum credit requirement met (depending on the degree programme)
- All courses completed from programme plan
- Resolution of incomplete grades
- Resolution of substitutions/waivers
- Resolution of Grade Forgiveness Applications
- Resolution of Transfer of Credits
- No outstanding account balances
PLEASE NOTE: No grade changes will be made to the student’s academic records after the degree has been conferred. Should you need to apply for Grade Forgiveness for a class that you have already re-taken, please do so prior to applying for graduation.
Completion of Degree Plans:
Please meet with your advisor to review this before submitting the application to the Registrar’s Office for processing.
To include with your Application Form:
You must submit the following items with your Graduation Application Form:
- Completed Degree Plan
- Unofficial Transcript
- One valid form of Identification (Passport, Birth Certificate, Driver’s License)
Regular Graduation Fees:
- Attending Graduation: $135 CI
- Not Attending Graduation: $100 CI
- Programme Group Photo: $15.00 CI ea.
- Individual, Awarding of Diploma Photo: $15.00 CI ea.
- Individual, Photo with President/Dean: $15.00 CI ea.
- Digital files of the photos are available at a cost of $25.00 CI each.
Not Approved for Graduation:
Students who have applied for Graduation but have not met the requirements listed above will be contacted to be informed of the decision. If you have met the requirements, you will be emailed confirmation and further instructions regarding items such as Graduation Rehearsal.
Change of Name:
Potential graduates who provide Identification with a name that is different from the name on their graduation application without supporting documents will require an affidavit. If you would like to change the name on your student file, please complete a Change of Name Form and submit with the supporting documents at the time of application.
Making Payments for Graduation
Payment by debit or credit card through the online payment portal: https://ucci.caymangateway.com/. Under ‘Service Category’ select General Fees and then choose Graduation (Walking) or Graduation (Not Walking
In person cash payments can be made at the Grand Cayman One-Stop Centre or the Cayman Brac Campus. Hours of operation: Monday-Thursday 8:30am-5:00pm and Friday 8:30am-4:30pm.
Students can make payments directly at a CNB or RBC bank branch or through on-line bill payments. Please ensure that your full name, Graduation 2021 and student ID are included in the payment reference for UCCI to properly apply against your account.
- If online, select University College of the Cayman Islands as the Beneficiary Account/Bill Payee.
- If you are paying in person, provide them with your name, Student ID number and the amount that you would like to pay to the UCCI account. You can opt, at both banks, to pay in KYD or USD.
- UCCI’s RBC KYD A/C: 1130293 and USD A/C: 2021061.
- If you make a physical or online payment to one of these banks, please take a picture or send a screenshot to email@example.com to alert the Registrar’s Office.
Submitting your Graduation Application Form
Please submit completed forms, along with supporting documentation, in-person or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, 12 March 2021. If paying online/over the phone, please do so before submitting the documentation, if paying in-person it can be done at the same time.
Important: Submission and payment of your graduation application does not equate to approval. You will receive approval via email from the Registrar’s Office.
NO APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED AFTER Friday, 12 March 2021.
Office of the Registrar
Updated January 28, 2021